Monday, December 05, 2005

A better world

I do not believe in a perfect world.
I do not believe in a world without death, disease, anger or tragedy.

I do believe in a better world.

I have often felt my anger against ‘how things are’ versus ‘how things should be’.
I am sure you have too.
Anger against obvious injustices.
Men and women losing loved ones because of man-made reasons for one.
Anger against profit-motives overriding humanitarian concerns.

I have recently realized, anger against injustice is like war for peace.
It’s an anomaly. It’s useless. It’s pointless.

A more spiritual and a much more practical perspective to adopt would be to just start doing things that I would do if the world were just what I expected it to be.
If I want the world to be kind, let me jus believe it is and respond.
If I want people to be humane and selfless, let me just believe it is and respond so.

Somehow, this belief seems to have made a difference in my experience of life.

The questions is – what do I do when you witness proof to the opposite, which I surely will.

The answer – nothing. Just forget it and move on. Just tell myself, that this was an anomaly, an aberration – not reality and move on.

But then what is the truth. What is the world really like?
The truth is – nobody knows!!
Nobody knows whether people are good or bad or cruel or kind. There is surely no empirical proof and the subjectivity of the matter can be debated for eons to come.

The newspapers or TV Channels, if you choose them to be a mirror of our world are I believe, inaccurate.
They do not report reality, they just report what is newsworthy.
And more often than not, what is newsworthy is violence, tragedy and death – because they are abnormal.
Newspapers or TV Channels do not and can not report millions of people falling in love this very moment. They cannot report millions being selfless and kind and helping others. They cannot possibly be witness to the mind-battles millions fight and win by making a higher choice.

Since, no objective reality exists – the world will be whatever we choose it to be.
I choose a better world.
And remember Gandhi.

He said – “Be the change you wish to see in the world”

---

2 comments:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

“Be the change you wish to see in the world” -Gandhi.

And end up like a diamond in the snout of a pig.

A genius among morons is mistaken for a moron as well.

If you are positive and others are negative, they can stymie your progress until they get rid of you, because they don't like your genius.

That is why tyrants lock up the critics of their tyranny and even murder them.

That was why the tyrant in Nigeria murdered Ken Saro-Wiwa and others.

All tyrants should be toppled.
All evil doers should not be allowed to perpetrate their evils.
Because, if we don't destroy evils, evils will destroy us.

I'll beat the hell out of you all said...

Well, you can believe and hope.
But personally I don't see it happen.

I think 2012 will be the collapse of society like we know it today