Friday, April 07, 2006

Role Playing

When I walk into a restaurant or a coffee-shop - I assume the role of a customer.
And the person serving me assumes the role of a waiter.

I play my role - some characterisics of which are to expect , demand some things, even if they mean inconveniencing the other human who plays the role of a waiter.

The waiter plays his role - some characteristics of which are to fulfill my desires, even if it means inconveniencing himself.

Busy playing our roles, both of us fail to notice the inherent humanity glowing within the other.

If I am a boss, and you are my subordinate. We are not two human beings sharing humanity.
If I am a father, and you are my child, here is the rulebook for that. Please fit in. We are not two human beings growing together.
If I am an expert, and you are not - I cannot say "I don't know" because that is not acceptable to the game we are playing.

If we stop acting our roles out and start acting human, how will our experience change.

--

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The experience changes to one of staisfacton, one of honesty and one of being a part of life where we have been of help ....a feeling that says "i have added value". The feeling of knowing oneself better and also of knowing someone else better....knowing what it means to be "human"...and what it is to perform the the acts which are "humane".